The busy Triage Nurse!!! (Me)

I don't have a new card to post today, but I've had so much happen at work in the last couple of days, I just have to share. I wanted to post a picture of some kind, so here is a pic of Hunter & Jenn. My Grandson, who is the light of my life, and his Mom, my oldest daughter. Here is Jenn, Me & Cristine, my youngest daughter!!
As you may know, I used to work in the Emergency Department, but I have been a full time Telephone Triage Nurse since the end of October. (I've actually done Triage for the last 10 yers with the ED) Yesterday was a very trying day.
One of my early morning callers said "F*** You, shut up, I don't have to listen to you." (He doesn't, but he called for advice) He demanded to know what was wrong with him, he wanted to speak to a doctor. He ended up hanging up on me.
Then an intoxicated pt. called stated he wanted to die. He was hoping to do it by not eating for 4 days, smoking and drinking alcohol. I suggested that I could call the police to bring him in, but he said that he didn't want to kill himself. He said he had loaded guns in the house, but was too much of a coward to do it. I called the police anyway, and he was taken to a local hospital.
Then I had a caller that only said "I'm not going to live much longer" and he hung up. Luckily I was able to write down his number from the caller ID, and reverse looked it up and called the Police and they actually knew who I was talking about. They were able to give ME his name and then went to check on him.
Finally, I got another caller who got in a fight with his GF, and said he wanted to kill someone. I tried to keep him on the phone while the police were called, but he hung up on me. I did call 911, the police found him and brought him to the hospital.
Was I ever glad that my 12 hours shift finally came to an end!!!
Last night my co-worker had a caller who wanted to let us know that she was going to slice her leg open so she could have surgery. She had gauze,bandages and a knife and was driving around in her car. She wouldn't tell us her name, we didn't have her phone number on caller ID, but she did tell us the town she was driving in. At the end of the call, we were able to find out who she was and notified the authorities, but we don't know the outcome. Hopefully she is OK!!
It's not even a full moon out!!
My husband is going to make me a steak for Valentine's day tonight, after I get home from work. That will be very nice. 2 more days to work, then a day off!!! I will be so glad!!!
Hope I didn't bore you!!!
Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Comments

Unknown said…
You need a day off and a really BIG steak!!! I think I have problems when my card mats are crooked...Sheesh!! In all seriousness, you can rest assured that every day you go into work you are helping someone.
Scrapping Julie said…
certainly was a busy day. i also used to work in an ER. i did bedside patient registration. i totally understand what you mean by full moon. we gauged how the day would be by the moon. so weird how that worked out. its amazing how many depressed people there are in the world. glad you made it through the night. enjoy your steak!
Suzanne said…
Hi Cindy! What a stressful day, I hope you are able to wind down and enjoy the weekend. You are a special person for doing the job that you do.
Miss Mary said…
aweeeeee Bless your heart... so sorry you had such a bad day! Today is a new day..keep smiling hun.

Happy Valentines day!

Mary
Cathy Clark said…
Cindy, those kind of days are killers! Nursing is great but "those" days make an old women out of you don't they?!
Enjoy your day off when you get it!
Happy Valentine's Day!
Vicki said…
Oh, Cindy, bless your heart! Who knew triage had to be such a detective event as well as all the other! There needs to be a show about your calls! So thankful that you and your coworkers are such capable people! Blessings to you!
Shelly Schmidt said…
Bless you for your work and being there when people need you-sounds exhausting though! Yummy- hope you had a great relaxing time eating steak!!!
Wow, that was a stressful work day! God Bless you for doing what you do to help others. Take care!
Kathy said…
Hey Cindy, love your family photos. Great job at work, you are really making a difference. Hope your steak was delish.
Gina Lindsay said…
Great photos, that Hunter is a real cutie. Hearing about your day makes me appreciate my job even more. My mom used to work in an ER and the stories she could tell!
love your photos!
cant even imagine a day like that -and here I am complaining about snow!
thankful for you and your peers - our lifesavers that we take for granted!!!!your work changes lives - that's a true gift!
blessings to you friend!
Unknown said…
Wow, what a crazy day! It is all worth it if you make one life better. I hope your Valentine's Day was special.
Sara said…
WOW! What a horrible stressful day, I hope it got much better for you!
hugs,
The Wired Angel said…
Hope you are doing well Cindy/Lucy... keep in touch. Hugs, Peggy
Leigh Ann Baird said…
Bless your heart! I hope you don't have another day like this anytime soo!

Popular posts from this blog

Oldies But Goodies Blog Hop.....

Design D*I*V*A*S Blog Hop !!

I'm back!!